Monday, May 8, 2017

Yard work and closed lows

Two closed lows meander over the U.S., one over New
York and New England 
I mentioned in my last blog that my immediate agenda included yard work and my old mower. Indeed it did, despite the weather, and the old mower again became a reluctant work partner. First of all, the weather. Yard work is, of course, dependent on the weather, and in no place is this more true than upstate New York. Spring here is often a bitter disappointment. After a long and hard winter, even snow lovers like me really look forward to a warm and sunny spring day. While we are "flooded" with traditional spring images of sunshine and flowers, spring here in the middle latitudes often offers a different, much harsher reality. Spring is the time of year for closed, or cut off lows. "What is that?" you say. Glad you asked. In the spring, we still have big differences in the cold to the north and the increasing warmth in the south. This develops large and strong low pressure storm systems, just like in winter. The difference is that in the spring, the jet stream that moves lows and highs, has begun to retreat to the north, leaving these big lows cut off from the flow, and meandering aimlessly. If you happen to be in an area where there is no low, you may have days of warm sunny weather, but if you happen to live in an area under one of these cut off lows, you will be in for days of clouds, rain, and cool air as the low moves slowly, or even circles about. Often, upstate New York seems to be in the perfect place for lousy weather, as it was (is) for much of the first part of May.

Friday deluge. Green is bad. Yellow,
really bad.  Red? Oof. 
So, being a professional meteorologist, I knew this was coming and decided that on Thursday of last week I needed to get the lawns done before this low moved in and established residency. Now I had already cut the lawn at home once and was pleasantly surprised with the old mower and how quickly it had started. It ran pretty nicely as well. The Sea Foam additive had done it's job. I expected little trouble when I went to cut the grass on the last sunny day before the deluge. Ha Ha. One solid hour of priming, pleading, and pulling and that damn mower wouldn't start. I removed the spark plug, the most common cause of non starting small engines, and to my untrained eye, it looked quite fouled. I carefully cleaned and reinstalled it. No luck. I was out of time. I had to still drive to the in laws and cut the grass there. So, I put the mower away and gave up. Friday, as predicted, the rain came. In buckets.  Saturday, a brief break arrived and I headed out. I pulled the plug again and ran to the hardware store for a replacement. I popped the new plug in the mower and it fired immediately. My guess is that in doing it's job, the Sea Foam additive did indeed dissolve the years of gunk in the carburetor that got into the combustion chamber and in turn fouled the plug. In any case I had to wait to cut the grass until the puddles in the lawn mostly disappeared before I did a fast and furious job on the lawn ahead of the next round of rain. I finished the entire thing in about an hour, a new record.

One of the bigger trees I cut down. Note that the gloves are
not near the chainsaw. 
Before the rain on Wednesday, I got out my el cheapo Harbor Freight chain saw and attacked some more of the low hanging branches and dead trees in the side yard. Overall, I'm pleased with the performance of the saw. It had plenty of power and was light and easy to handle. On the down side, the double safety switch was hard to squeeze and keep in the "on" position with heavy gloves on. I ended up taking my gloves off and it was easier to keep the saw going at all angles. I cut up some old wood I had laying around to fireplace size, and took down some new dead and live branches and trees that just needed to go away. A big improvement to the general look to the trees and lawn, and it made it much easier to mow.
Lowe"s wants $89 for this 3 foot high
"Fat Albert" spruce.Yikes!

We want to do some plantings in the near future and have started to look at some options at the local home stores. I'm somewhat apprehensive since the growing and nurturing gene seems to have skipped me and despite the green thumbs of my parents and brother, pretty much everything I plant dies. In any case, we haven't made any firm decisions, but are looking to plant a spruce somewhere near the middle of the side yard. I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find a spruce to transplant, and how expensive they are if you do manage to find one. I need to find a friend with some acreage and some wild spruce so that I can dig one up and plant it in my yard.

Little if anything has been done on the home repair and improvement front. I'm becoming more convinced that I have fixed the tub leak and will soon begin the repair the kitchen ceiling (triggering a new leak no doubt). This may trigger some more work in the kitchen very soon, including the oven hood/microwave combo installation and wall repair and painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment