Sunday, July 10, 2016

Heat, Humidity and Holidays

It's been a quiet time on the home repair and maintenance front. My paid job, heat and holidays have interfered, but that's not a bad thing. My paid job as a meteorologist for the National Weather Service becomes busier and more chaotic in the summer as the weather literally heats up, and co workers head out on vacation. This leads to extended work days, overtime, and a crazy work schedule as I fill in for others. Frankly, it tires me out, especially since our office is open 24 hours a day and I may be called in at anytime.

After a cool Spring, summer has been hot so even when I have a day off, it kind of spoils my ambition to work outside in the heat and humidity. The grass is getting high but the weather and my job has kept me from it. It's not looking good for today either. However, to be honest, I have had opportunities, but have chosen to do other things. Last week, Cindy and I had ambitious plans to prep the den for renovation but when it got time to get at it, we decided the heat in the house was too much and we went to the movies. Today, a cooler day and perfect for cutting the grass after work, we plan to head down to The Dicks Sporting Goods Open and catch a little golf. I volunteered at the event for years when it was the B.C. Open, and after that we always for at least one day of golf into our schedule, but we have been in quite a while and I'm really looking forward to going.

The extent of  my fireworks.
We enjoyed a subdued 4th of July holiday. I was working graveyard shifts and the weather was warm and sticky. In the end, we had our Uncle Ed over for gourmet burgers and a picnic on the porch. Later in the evening we had planned to head out to watch the Highland Park fireworks, but ended up just sitting on the porch watching the show various neighbors put on. It's interesting to note that personal fireworks are completely illegal in New York, but there seems to be little regard for or enforcement of the law. The scanner was alive with calls for fireworks but apparently the police just ask people to stop as I did not hear of any arrests. The bangs and booms did seem to upset poor Katia as she ran around in a somewhat panicked  form looking for the source of the noise. Natasha meanwhile couldn't have cared less and snoozed though the evening, as usual.
We will not be getting this door. I
 liked the kick panel at the bottom.
Cindy wants full glass, She wins.

Speaking of Uncle Ed, I did manage to get some work in at his place and help him assemble and raise a gantry crane in his garage. It's a 1 ton crane and it was sure built like it could lift a ton as we put it together. In the end it took three of us to finally lift it into place. Luckily, Ed has a beer cooler nearby the work area. On the flip side, Ed has agreed to bring his tools and help me extend the Pex plumbing in the basement to our clothes washer. Our nearly 25 years of trips to the laundromat may soon be over!

The heat has demonstrated the need for a screened storm door on the front of the house to improve circulation. Ed has agreed to help with the installation but as usual, there are issues. Apparently, MOST doors are 36 or 30 inches. Ours is not. Ours is 34 5/8 inches. This takes you from buying a stock door to ordering a custom door at astronomical increases in prices. However, I'm not ready to give in. Home Depot sells 34 inch doors at stock price. Unfortunately, they say their 34 inch door will fit openings up to 34 3/8 inches. Can I adapt the door to fit my opening? I sure hope so and plan to try, even if it means adding a thin strip of molding to narrow the gap. This is where the addition of another mind will help. I'm pretty confident in our ability to solve this one. (gulp!).

No comments:

Post a Comment