Saturday, August 6, 2016

Lawnmowers are for short people

My el cheapo lawnmower.
I'm around 6'3", almost 6'4". Not a giant, but taller than most. I would imagine most people would see that being taller is an advantage, and it is usually, but not always. I'm not tall enough to worry about hitting my head on things (usually) and our new home has nice high ceilings, although there is that low part on the stairs (ouch!). Still, there are times that being tall is a real pain, and one of those times is when I'm forced to use "standard" sized equipment. What I mean is that most things can be fitted for size. Clothes, hats, car seats can all be purchased or adjusted to fit. Other things, like tables, chairs, and lawnmowers are pretty much used as is. Cindy and I bake bread (perhaps a future blog) and the job of kneading falls on me. I enjoy it, other than my back aches by the time I'm done because our kitchen table is too low and I have to bend over to work.  Other "too short" facilities and tools for tall people include most sinks, water fountains (I still use them, do you?), snow shovels, and, most importantly, airplane seats.



The north "forty" after a back breaker.
My silly cheap lawn mower is too short for me. I actually love the thing. I bought it for around $150 at Lowes ages ago and it just goes. I've never sharpened the blades, tuned it up, or even changed the oil. I have cleaned and replaced the air filter a couple times, and I check to be sure it HAS oil. Other than that I prime it three times and pull the cord once and off I go. Problem is, it is too short. As I walk back and forth for an hour or so, I'm bent over to reach the handle. My poor back aches. I have to stop a few times to stretch out and walk around to release the knot in my back. I have looked at push mowers double or triple the cost and they do not seem to be any better. If I do end up buying a riding mower, it will mostly be because my back cannot take it any longer.

A definite improvement.
We got a nice gift from Karen and Randy (Realtors Extraordinaire and Best Sister and Brother). Randy surreptitiously measured our fireplace and custom cut some birch logs for us. He carefully washed and dried them to Cindy's standard and approval. They fit perfectly look beautiful.

Of course, right after I wrote my last blog we got a real soaker and and the grass grew like crazy (prompting this post). While there was some relief, the drought continues and the forecast for the next week or so is more dry weather.

In other home improvement news, the ordered screen door has arrived and sits in the garage, hopefully installment will be this week. I installed a dimmer switch for our porch lights so we could sit out there and have them on without feeling like we are on a stage. The dimmer also allows us to have low level welcoming/security lighting for the front of our home. Otherwise progress on projects will be slow for the rest of the month. I'm currently on a 13 day work stretch and we have two weddings and a short vacation at the shore before the end of the month. All that fun and relaxing will be exhausting.



No comments:

Post a Comment