Friday, October 28, 2016

One year of ownership

Wow has time flown by. The 29th marks the anniversary of us closing on our home. I can hardly believe it. We've done so much, yet there is so much to do. The house looks much better than it did here, and certainly our main living areas are just the way we want them. Still, at some point we face a major renovation of the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, and the guest bedroom and den both need a makeover. Then there's the sun rooms are the 1st and 2nd floor. Yikes! Now I'm getting nervous all over again.

Halloween, last year, right after the bushes were cut down.
We love our home though. The stress of the last few years living at Helen St with the psychotic pseudo-landlord was really taking it's toll on us. I no longer worry about what obscene, rambling, nonsensical note may be taped to our door, or when the rent would be randomly raised. Now, just Cindy, Katia and Natasha wait for me. We enjoyed our new place almost immediately, greeting trick-or-treaters from our porch just days after signing. Our Christmas tree was up before we moved in. After we moved, the resolute sturdiness and overwhelming quiet of our well built home was an immediate comfort. The Christmas holidays came and went with joy and peace.

Last year's lonely Christmas tree. 
Winter and early Spring brought trials and tribulations, to be sure, but we were happy. Later in the Spring brought the illness and tragic loss of First Father In Law Geno, a staggering blow. His gentle leadership and advice have been missed. That, and joyous family events,  limited our time for renovations and repairs well into the summer. I just wish I had gotten more work done outside. I'm pleased with the porch and trim work along the south side of the house, I wish I had gotten to the north side windows, painting and repairing the trim work, and replacing the windows. Perhaps if we have one more warm spell during my days off, I can still get to that.
Bread and Cinnamon buns from 2014 

So we head into the holiday period better equipped to handle it. Cindy and I have already discussed our baking schedule and I really look forward to our first batch of Christmas bread and cinnamon buns in our new home, The Christmas music and Bloody Mary's will be flowing. With more time to think and plan, I hope to step up our game for the lights and decorating this year. I want to get my train out, and get more of the Snow Village buildings out.

Last winter was so mild, I shoveled once (barely) and never used to snow blower. Even if we have a normal winter this year, I'm sure the maintenance of our long driveway, and even long sidewalk will be interesting. If we have a snowier winter, it could easily become a real challenge. I am committed to keeping the sidewalk as clear as possible as we have several walkers around the area with the park next door, and with college and high school students in the neighborhood. Plus, with the B&B across the street, we need to make a good impression for visitors.

So what will year two bring in our new home? Other than the weather, I refuse to predict. What is certain is that there will be more good memories, more unexpected challenges, and, of course, more blogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment