Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Travel

Do I travel a lot? I'm not sure. It seems so sometimes. Travel for me seems to come in bursts. I've recently had two long trips, to Arizona and to Georgia, both for work and the two couldn't have been more different. I do not mean the destination, which of course, are very different, I mean the trip itself. The Arizona trip was troublesome, with several frustrating events, while the trip to Georgia went smoothly, and reinforced some lessons I've learned on previous trips.

My only picture in Phoenix. This was a stop I needed to
make to get my weather equipment. It wasn't there. 
My ultimate destination. Fire camp in northern Arizona.
On the Arizona trip, I was booked on two different airlines by the government travel agency, a big mistake, and was booked through Newark Liberty Airport, another mistake. The trip to Newark from Binghamton is no longer available, and I will not miss it. The Newark Airport is confusing, period. I've been through most of the large airports in the country, and I'm not stupid, but I absolutely could not figure out how to get to my next gate. I finally asked a pilot (because there was no one from the airport around to help) standing in line for coffee, who seemed annoyed but was helpful, The gate search was complicated by the fact that I was changing airlines and required leaving the secure area and re-entering through a security check point. Not intuitive at all. Adding to my frustration was a lousy breakfast sandwich from a "deli", which was amazing since I consider the NYC metro area to have the best food in the nation. Upon arriving in Phoenix, I waited almost 45 minutes for my bags to arrive. Yes, I check luggage. A necessity when you are planning a 2 week dispatch that requires special equipment. I was concerned that my bags would be lost, a not uncommon occurrence when switching airlines mid tip. Without my equipment, I'm pretty much useless. Also, since I'm not staying in a nearby by hotel, but expected at a wilderness location hundreds of miles away that afternoon, they must be with me and not shipped later by the airline. After finally getting my bags, I went on a tour of the enormous Phoenix Sky Harbor Aiport. Lugging my stuff through elevators and trains to the car rental center I arrived at the counter. Here, I waited for an hour and a half for the rental car company to sort through computer issues and get me and about 40 other people, their cars. The frustration on this trip was compounded when I went to the nearby weather office to retrieve my weather equipment that I had shipped ahead, only to find out that through a series of miscommunications and errors, my instruments would not be available until Monday, two days later. Ironically, once I finally arrived in fire camp, I found quickly that the situation was winding down and I would be sent home in just a few days.

Me an a couple other IMETS at the command post.
My trip to Georgia was the polar opposite, and couldn't have gone smoother. I was leery of traveling through the Philadelphia Airport, given it's reputation, but the transfer between gates went smoothly, and my luggage made the connection. Upon arrival at the massive Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, I retrieved my bags almost immediately, and once again traveled through requisite train system to the rental car center. Upon arriving I was told by the friendly clerk that since I was a preferred member, I was to proceed directly to the garage and pick out my car. At the garage, another friendly clerk told me to pick any car I wanted out of the four long rows of vehicles. An immeasurably better experience than with the other company in Phoenix. I was on my way in no time and heading to the command post at the fire.

A lesson learned is certainly to join the free "club" of whatever rental car company you may be using. Being able to skip the interminable wait at the counter is a huge advantage, and I'll never do it again if I can avoid it, even if it costs me a few bucks. I have the good luck to often be selected for TSA Precheck, which puts in a much shorter line at the screening checkpoint, and allows you the luxury of leaving your shoes on, and your laptop in the bag. Much faster. If I traveled often, and was not selected like I am, (probably since they can see I'm on government travel from my ticket) I would look into applying online for a permanent precheck clearance.
Decorated tree and fire on a cold day.

On the home improvement front, progress has been nil. Upon returning from Georgia, we immediately picked out and cut down our Christmas tree and brought it in the house, The next couple days were spent decorating the tree and putting up the outdoor Christmas lights, which include a beautiful artificial garland around the picture window on the porch. I did spend more time working on the leak around the tub and made a significant improvement, although I bit more work is likely needed. We did hear from Home Depot and our windows are in. Need to get them home and find some time to install them and improve the insulation through the old windows.

It's been over a year since I started this blog and am pleased with the growth and audience. I've got several faithful readers in Germany and Russia, as well as other parts of Europe. Of course, I appreciate the support and kind words from friends and relatives. I hope to keep you interested through 2017. Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment